Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Hosanna!

So this week I am co-leading worship with a very dear friend of mine.  Josh Scott and I have been friends since we were kids.  In fact, my older sister even babysat for him and his family.  So our history is great.  He has also grown up in the same church I have, Vineyard church of Augusta.  


So this week we were trying to find a song we both liked and we talked to our main worship leader, Eben Brusco.  He suggested a few, one of which was Hosanna.  He said, "...since it is Palm Sunday."  I thought to myself... 
Oh yea.  It IS Palm Sunday.  *thunk*  That (if you were wondering...) was the "Should have had a V8" slap to the forehead.  


So I decided to read the passages and look up the info on it. Yes I have read the story... many times.  But how many of you can correctly account EVERY story.   Plus, who reads the Bible through just once, and is satisfied with that.  Good refresher, really.   :)  So of course I turned to Wiki pages to get some info and exact passages.  It tells me where it is in all 4 gospels.  Nice.  
So I turn to Matthew 21:1-11 and read the story.  
So here's the short version:


Jesus was coming into Jeruselum.  He asks two deciples to grab him a donkey.
They do. He gets on it and rides into town.
People put down palm leaves and their cloaks on the ground as he comes in. 
They start shouting "Hosanna" and other praises.  
People ask who it is, others reply to them: "Jesus".  


So simple story, really... but some things I never read never understood before today was what "hosanna" really meant.
Wiki states:
The word Hosanna is derived from the Hebrew word: "Hoshana" (הושענא) is a Hebrew word meaning please save or save now.


Hmmm... please save?  Save now? Wow... I have sang this word hundreds of times... literally.  I can honestly say that I never knew that before now.  
It makes so much sense though.  At that time they knew Jesus was their Savior, however, some people thought Jesus would save them from the political oppression they were under, or some other oppression... however Jesus came to save them from themselves... from the sin we as man created.  These people were calling out to be saved but really didn't know what they would truly be saved from.


There are so many times I ask for my husband, or sister, or mom, or other family to save me.  Ha!  You think I am kidding... there have been so many times with my sister I called to ask for her help with things. Especially my kids!  I have a 2 1/2 year old, Hailee, and a 6 month old, Nathaniel.  When I was pregnant with Nathaniel there were times I wasn't sleeping and I was so exhausted I was doing all I could to make it to her nap time.  I then thought I would try and nap then.  So I would wait, and of course it would just so happen that that day Hailee wouldn't nap.  Or would scream... or something!  I would call my wonderful sister and she would ride up in her van (at the time I called her my knight in silver mini van) and take Hailee for a few hours.


I felt cared for, I felt loved.  I was able to rest.  Awesome.  
(Shout out: Thank Sissa! I love you!!! :D  )


Then it dawned on me.  This love of Jesus'... how amazing. We call out for him, and say, "Save us" and we think he is just going to help with some political unrest... and then dies on the cross for all of our sins.  Yours and mine!!! Amazing.  He comes through for us in so much more than we asked of him.
Isn't that just like our God?  Our Lord, who knows exactly what we need and when?  Ugh.  Wow.  He is so good.
So today Lord, we say Hosanna and you hear us.  We ask for your saving grace, Father... and you come through for us.  You are faithful. You are gracious and you are GOOD.


I will leave you all with the song we are singing Sunday:


Hosanna/Praise is Rising


Praise is rising, eyes are turning to You
We turn to You
Hope is stirring, hearts are yearning for You
We long for You
‘Cause when we see You, we find strength to face the day
In Your presence, all our fears are washed away
Washed away

Hosanna Hosanna
You are the God who saves us,
Worthy of all our praises
Hosanna Hosanna
Come have Your way among us
We welcome You here Lord Jesus

Hear the sound of hearts returning to You
We turn to You
In Your kingdom broken lives are renewed
You make us new
‘Cause when we see You, we find strength to face the day
In Your presence, all our fears are washed away
Washed away

Hosanna Hosanna
You are the God who saves us,
Worthy of all our praises
Hosanna Hosanna
Come have Your way among us
We welcome You here Lord Jesus

‘Cause when we see You, we find strength to face the day
In Your presence all our fears are washed away
‘Cause when we see You we find strength to face the day
In Your presence, all our fears are washed away
Washed away


Hosanna Hosanna
You are the God who saves us,
Worthy of all our praises
Hosanna Hosanna
Come have Your way among us
We welcome You here Lord Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment