Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Food?!

Where does our food come from?

Grocery stores? Yes but where? A farm?  What kind of place? Is this the largest farm of places like this?

What about the meat you get?  From chickens, beef, eggs? Produce?
I have really been challenged by this subject lately.  I have had several people in the past tell me about this and how much it means and so I bought organic milk... for Hailee.
That was my gateway into all this.  Then I wondered why I did that... and why shouldn't I look more into it for us and for the food etc.   So I did.  So surprised by what I found!!!
I mean think about it (I hadn't until then...) look at what we cook for dinner each week??  Not to mention how much fast food we eat, too.

Now please don't hear this as me on my soapbox.  That would mean I am looking down upon everyone from above.  No no... I am still just talking about what I have been thinking and why I am thinking that way and starting to make some changes.  Also-  if you guys have noticed lately I'm not in the best of shape.  Ok let's just be honest.  I am not in great shape at all.  But I am trying to get there.  And again I am just trying to explain why I am not above anyone... that I'm on the same level as everyone else.

So with the help of my friend Angel, and the movies Food Inc. and Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead I have slowly changed how my family and I are eating.  (I highly recommend both movies by the way).
Basically it talks about mostly how most of the food Americans eat now is processed so there are no nutrients in them.  Which I totally believe.  Then most of the "good" food we think we are eating- fruits, veggies, meat... are made badly.  With pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, etc... blech.   It just sounds nasty. But then when watching those movies you see the results of bad eating vs. great eating.
We now buy only either organic or natural grass fed, free range meat.  All of our milk and most produce are from a nearby farmers market.  A friend, Shanna, introduced us to that.  It's so easy.  You order online and pickup once a week what you would like.
You can find that if you are in the Augusta Area at http://augusta.locallygrown.net/

Also I know that it can be pretty expensive.  Especially as I am a couponer.  I can get other foods for FREE sometimes... so it is really hard to make that choice to pay so much more than free than normal for these organic, natural and local foods.  So again, believe me... it's not easy for my wallet either.  So again, I'm with you there.  But there is more.  Much more that we are called to by our Father, who loves us.

Well so basically we as people, but really more as Christians, are called to this:
19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.


God paid the ultimate sacrifice so that we might live- and not just live but thrive.  Us putting junk into our bodies is not the best way to go about thanking him for the temporary home that is our bodies.
Like I said, I have a long way to go.  And I am NOT one to go totally one sided with this and refuse meals, potlucks, and other food if I am unable to eat healthier.  God sees our hearts just like anything else... so I don't think eating totally non organic food at a friends while fellowshipping grieves the Lord.

Another awesome blog I have been reading is RiddleLove it is a family out of California.  Some of you might know the Father/Husband in the family as Jeremy Riddle I have talked about before? His wife and he are doing some amazing things not only for the kingdom of the Lord, but their home as well!  And isn't that where the Kingdom work really starts? Well done Riddle family! You are an inspiration... even here in lil Augusta, GA!

Anyways-  her blog impresses me and I can hardly understand it all.  But I'm trying.  And I'd love to get there someday.  I hope I am somewhere near there in about 10 yrs.  But we will see.
Please feel free to post and ask any questions but like I am saying, I might not know the answer to them, but I will sure try!!!

Thanks for sticking with me on this long post!

No comments:

Post a Comment